What is Hair Restoration?
Hair restoration constitutes both surgical and non-surgical procedures. A surgical procedure is where hair grafts are harvested from the safe zone of the scalp and transferred to thinning or balding areas. This procedure helps patients address hair loss problems, restore a youthful appearance, and boost their confidence. On the other hand, non-surgical procedures cover a range of alternative options such as medication, laser therapy treatments and scalp micropigmentation.
Common hair loss causes
Hair loss can happen to anyone. Some of the factors that can contribute to this condition are:
- Hormonal changes
- Certain Medications
- Autoimmune diseases
- Nutrient Deficiencies
- Extreme Hair Care
Exploring the Different Types of Hair Restoration Procedures & Treatments Available
Depending on the case of the patient and the advice of one’s healthcare provider, patients can either have surgical or non-surgical hair treatment operations.
Non-surgical hair restoration options
Some of the non-surgical procedures that patients can opt for are:
- Low-level laser therapy (LLLT): This procedure uses laser light that is applied to the scalp to promote cell growth.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy: In this treatment, blood is collected and centrifuged separating blood into three layers: platelet-poor plasma, platelet-rich plasma, and red blood cells. The platelet-rich plasma is then injected into the scalp.
- Scalp micropigmentation: This treatment is also called hair tattooing, where micro-needles deposit tiny dots of pigment or color into the scalp. This can cover bald spots or produce the look of tiny hair follicles.
- Hair fibers and hairpieces: Hair fibers, or hair thickening fibers, are made up of keratin protein that attach to existing hair strands to attain extra hair volume and thickness.
- Hair growth supplements: Hair growth supplements like vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and other formulations can be taken by individuals who have hair loss to stimulate hair growth and strengthen existing follicles.
- Nutritional and lifestyle changes.
- Topical treatments such as minoxidil.
- Oral medications like finasteride and dutasteride.
Surgical hair restoration options
Some of the most common surgical hair treatments are:
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): FUE hair transplant uses micro punches for graft extraction.
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT): FUT hair transplant is a minimally invasive surgical procedure requiring the excision of a strip of skin that is trimmed into individual grafts for transplant.
The Pros & Cons of Non-Surgical and Surgical Hair Restoration Procedures
Like any medical procedure, both non-surgical and surgical hair restoration procedures come with a host of pros and cons.
Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Procedures:
- Can provide immediate results: Patients who opt for this type of treatment can quickly see the results afterward and do not need to wait for months to see visible results.
- Less invasive and requiring little to no downtime: Non-surgical procedures are less invasive. After the procedure, patients can immediately go back to their normal activities.
- For a wider range of hair loss cases, from mild to moderate: With the variety of non-surgical hair treatments available, they can address patients with different types of hair loss problems.
- Not as effective or long-lasting: The results of non-surgical procedures only last for a period of time depending on the patient’s health and how they take care of their hair. Some patients need to undergo another treatment to continue addressing their hair loss problems.
- Frequent maintenance and touch-ups to maintain results: After having a non-surgical hair loss treatment, patients must stick to a maintenance routine or visit the clinic to maintain the natural look of the hair and lengthen its life span.
- Not suitable with severe hair loss or scarring: The degree of hair loss problems can vary from one person to another. Scarring and other severe hair loss problems are not easily addressed by non-surgical hair treatments.
- Higher cost over time.
Surgical Hair Restoration Procedures:
- FUE and FUT can provide long-lasting, natural-looking results: Patients who opt for surgical hair restoration can benefit from a natural appearance and permanent results as healthy hair is transplanted to bald or thinning areas of the scalp.
- More effective for advanced cases of hair loss.
- Require little to no maintenance once completed: Patients who have gone through surgical procedures may not be required to stick to a maintenance regimen such as shampoo, lotion, or topical treatments. Patients can treat the growing transplanted hair like the rest of their hair.
- More invasive and requiring a longer recovery period: Surgical treatments are invasive, which means cuts are made for instruments to enter the body. This can result in swelling and pain after the surgery and a longer recovery of 3 to 5 days before patients can go back to their normal routine.
- Risk of complications such as scarring. Both FUT and FUE transplants cause scarring – a linear scar in FUT, and circular scars in FUE.
How Hair Restoration Can Help Restore Your Confidence and Enhance Your Appearance
Aside from its medical benefits, hair restoration can help patients regain their self-esteem by giving back the confidence associated with feeling young and attractive. Even in a person’s middle to older ages, it is important to feel good about yourself. This ultimately leads to better mental health and a general sense of well being.
Choosing the Best Hair Restoration Professionals & Services For Your Needs
A problem like hair loss is one that can happen to anyone, especially if they are more vulnerable to various risk factors. Today, this problem can be addressed by various remedies and medical procedures. In the Philippines, Pineda Hair Transplant Clinic is one of the only clinics that specializes in hair restoration alone, giving patients personalized and cost-effective treatments to achieve the most aesthetically pleasing results.
For more information or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pineda, visit their official website at www.pinedahair.com
or call 8813-0691.